The USFSM Student Showcase for Projects, Research, and Innovation is an opportunity for USFSM students to present academic work, learn from peers, and network with USFSM Faculty members. Academic projects, research experiments, innovative ideas, or visual/performing arts (music, drama, dance) from any USFSM college (CLASS, CSM, COB, CHTL) will be eligible for submission. Graduate and undergraduate students from all USFSM Colleges are encouraged to submit an abstract describing their research results or art project. The submission of team projects is welcomed.
- Fall 2016: Select a USFSM Faculty Member as a mentor and begin project.
- Friday, February 10, 2017: Last day to notify the showcase coordinator, Dr. Kim Badanich (email@example.com), of their intent to submit an abstract.
- Monday, February 13, 2017: Abstract submissions opens.
- Friday, February 24, 2017: Last day to submit abstract.
- Friday, March 24, 2017: Students notified of acceptance, presentation type, and presentation time.
- Week of March 27: Writing and Presentation Workshops for accepted applicants.
- Friday, April 7, 2017: Showcase will be held throughout the day (9 a.m. – 5 p.m.) in Selby Auditorium.
- Any USFSM undergraduate or graduate student can apply.
- To participate, students must be registered for at least 9 credit hours in the Spring 2017 semester.
- USF Tampa and USF St. Petersburg, and Mote Marine students may participate if they have USFSM Faculty sponsor their work. Students may also participate but will be judged in a separate category “Affiliate Institutions” and will only be eligible for merit awards.
- Applicants must have a USFSM mentor to sponsor their submission.
Submit Your Work
All submissions require a 250-word abstract. A panel of faculty reviewers will evaluate submissions based on the project¹s significance within its academic discipline. An example of the scoring rubric can be found here. Based on these reviews, the panel will select and invite students to present their work as a poster or oral presentation.
Topics Eligible for Submission
|Art (visual/performing)||Information Systems/Decision Sciences|
|Chemistry||Interdisciplinary Social Sciences|
|Communication Sciences & Disorders||Literacies Education|
|Curriculum & Instruction||Marketing|
|Economics||Mathematics & Statistics|
|Educational Leadership||Professional & Technical Communication|
Types of Projects Accepted
|Action Research||Experimental Research|
|Applied Projects & Applied Research||Innovative Projects|
|Business Plans||Literature Review|
|Case Studies||Mixed Methods Research|
|Community-Based Projects||News Media Projects|
|Consulting Projects||Online Projects|
|Creative Works||Performance Projects (music, drama, dance)|
|Curriculum Design||Qualitative Projects|
|Data Analyses||Quantitative Projects|
|Descriptive Research||Quasi-experimental Projects|
|Ethnographic Research||Service and Leadership Projects|
Awards (Pending Funding)
- Travel awards will be granted to outstanding students.