The Student Showcase for Projects, Research, and Innovation is an opportunity for USFSM students to present academic, learn from peers, and network with USFSM Faculty members. Academic projects, research experiments, or innovative ideas from any USFSM college (Arts & Sciences, Business, Education, Hospitality & Tourism Leadership) will be eligible for submission. Graduate and undergraduate students from all USFSM Colleges are encouraged to submit an abstract describing their research results or art project. The submission of team projects is welcomed.
- Fall 2015: Select a USFSM Faculty Member as a mentor and begin project.
- Friday, January 8, 2016: Last day to notify the showcase coordinator, Dr. Kim Badanich (firstname.lastname@example.org), of their intent to submit an abstract.
- Monday, January 11, 2016: Abstract submissions opens.
- Friday, January 22, 2016 (11:59 pm): Last day to submit abstract.
- Friday, February 5, 2016: Students notified of acceptance, presentation type, and presentation time.
- Week of February 8: Writing and Presentation Workshops for accepted applicants.
- Friday, February 19, 2016: Showcase will be held throughout the day in Selby Auditorium.
- Any USFSM undergraduate or graduate student can apply.
- USF Tampa and USF St. Petersburg students may also participate but will be judged in a separate category “Affiliate Institutions” and will only be eligible for merit awards.
- Applicants must have a USFSM mentor to sponsor their submission.
Submit Your Work
All submissions require a 250-word abstract. A panel of faculty reviewers will evaluate submissions based on the project¹s significance within its academic discipline. An example of the scoring rubric is available on this website. Based on these reviews, the panel will select and invite students to present their work as a poster presentation. A select few will be asked to give an oral presentation.
Topics Eligible for Submission
|Chemistry||Information Systems/Decision Sciences|
|Communication Sciences & Disorders||Information Technology|
|Criminology||Interdisciplinary Social Sciences|
|Curriculum & Instruction||Literacies Education|
|Elementary Education||Mathematics & Statistics|
|English||Professional & Technical Communication|
Types of Projects Accepted
|Action Research||Ethnographic Research|
|Applied Projects & Applied Research||Experimental Research|
|Case Studies||Innovative Projects|
|Community-Based Projects||Literature Review|
|Consulting Projects||Mixed Methods Research|
|Creative Works||News Media Projects|
|Curriculum Design||Online Projects|
|Data Analysis||Performance Projects|
|Descriptive Research||Qualitative Projects|
Awards (Pending Funding)
- Travel awards will be granted to outstanding students.