Why integrate service-learning?
According to the AAC&U, the incorporation of service-learning is a “high impact practice” that increases content knowledge, higher-order thinking skills, problem solving skills, critical thinking skills, career skills, civic responsibility, motivation, retention and academic engagement.
- Adds new insights and dimensions to class discussions
- Engages students with different learning styles
- Boosts course enrollment by attracting highly motivated and engaged students
- Provides networking opportunities with faculty in other disciplines
- Provides firsthand knowledge of community needs and opportunities to be more involved in community issues
- Leads to new avenues for research and publication
We want to support you with integrating service-learning into your curriculum. We can provide presentations to your class to define service-learning, help you develop relationships with community organizations and provide assignment guidelines for you to adapt for your courses.