An academic minor is an optional complement to a bachelor’s degree in a particular field, leading to specific educational goals. Students interested in a particular minor should obtain the specific requirements from the appropriate colleges. Minors are recorded on the transcript and the diploma.
Each academic minor conforms to the University requirements:
- A minimum of eight (8) semester hours of credit used to satisfy the requirements of a minor must be from USFSM courses.
- A student may not have a major and a minor in the same program.
- College courses used in the major may not apply to the minor.
- USF System institution coursework for a minor must have a GPA of at least 2.00.
- USFSM undergraduate degree-seeking students are only eligible for minors offered at USFSM. Students at other USF system institutions are not eligible to receive minors at USFSM.
- A minor can be applied for and received only in conjunction with applying for and receiving a baccalaureate degree, except for students who have already received a baccalaureate degree from USFSM. Those students may earn certification of a minor by taking additional undergraduate coursework at USFSM and applying for the certification. Students who choose to pursue this option must submit the Post-Baccalaureate Minor application to their academic advisor within the first twenty (20) class days of the term they expect to complete the minor requirements.