The mission of Career Services is to guide the USF Sarasota-Manatee student and alumni through the process of exploring, evaluating, and executing career goals and employment strategies. Career Services collaborates with the campus community to deliver services to students. Students may be advised in person, through e-mail or online for distance learners and south county learners regarding career and graduate school decisions, job and internship searches, and employment preparation. In addition to its advising capacity, Career Services also coordinates networking activities for students and alumni with employers through career fairs, career forums, on-campus interviews, informational interviews and mentoring programs, and business etiquette dinners, and dress-for-success seminars.
At the end of advising services and workshops, students will be able to
- Demonstrate how occupational choices are relevant to their skills, interests, values and personality.
- Weigh the pros and cons of pursuing one career over another.
- List resources to guide their career choice and find employment.
- Explain the importance of diversifying with a dual degree, a minor, or a language.
- Write a combination resume emphasizing achievements, skills, experience and education.
- Write an exploratory cover letter personalized to the company and tailored to the position.
- Network for jobs and internships using the phone, student organizations, events and social media.
- Communicate with confidence in a clear and concise manner.
- List the steps to take before, during and after an interview.
- Describe the business casual and business professional style of dress.
- Write a thank you note that responds directly to the interview.
- Negotiate a salary.
- Once employed, recruit-a-bull through Career Services, USF Sarasota-Manatee