Choosing the right college for you just might be one of the most overwhelming (yet exciting!) decisions of your life. After all, it will be the school you’ll be spending a lot of time in over the next few years, so it’s important to find a place where you will flourish academically, professionally and personally.
Two vital steps in the college admissions process is touring campus and meeting with an admissions counselor. This will help you discover the right fit for you and your goals; and knowing what questions to ask when you visit campus is the key to knowing which school is the right place to begin the next chapter of your life.
Not sure where to start? The three most important topics to ask about are academics, campus life and financial information. Check out the list below for the top questions to ask your admissions counselor in each category.
Ask Questions About Academics
As fun as college life can be, you’ll be working towards a degree to help jump-start your career, so it’s important to ask about more than the student events and clubs on campus. Start with these questions to have a conversation about your current interests and long-term goals, and how the academic programs available at the university may help you achieve your dreams.
- What are the most popular academic programs for incoming students?
- Do you offer study abroad programs?
- What can you tell me about internship opportunities?
- What sort of tutoring and academic support services are available?
- What percentage of students graduate in four years? How many go on to graduate school?
Ask Your Admissions Counselor About Campus Life
Once you have a good understanding of how the school can support you academically, consider asking the counselor about campus life so you can learn a little more about what extra-curricular opportunities might be available to you.
- What are the most popular student clubs and organizations?
- Are there student groups for my interest in _______?
- Where do students hang out outside of campus?
- Are athletics/religious life/veterans affairs an important part of the culture here?
- What can you tell me about campus safety, health and fitness?
Don’t Forget to Ask for Financial Information
While most admissions counselors will likely mention scholarship opportunities or cost of attendance when you visit, it’s important to get all the facts and figures rather than a simple overview. Be sure to ask these questions to have all the financial information you need before making your final decision.
- What is the cost of attending? Beyond tuition, what other fees should I be prepared to pay?
- What kind of work-study jobs are available?
- How many scholarships are available and how are they awarded?
- What percentage of students receive financial aid and what does the typical package include?
- What is the post-graduation employment rate?
If your admission counselor happens to be an alumnus of the school you are considering, here are a few questions that might give you even more insight.
- Why did you pick this school?
- What did you study?
- What was your favorite part of being a student here?
Reach Out to the Admissions Team at USFSM!
Don’t be afraid to ask as many questions as needed until you are comfortable and confident that you have a clear picture of the schools you are considering. Remember: this is your journey, so dig deep to make sure the next steps are pointing you in the right direction!
At USF Sarasota-Manatee, our admissions team is here to answer any questions you have about our school. Request more information online or call us at 941-359-4331 to learn more about USFSM!