Dr. Jessica Grosholz

What can I do with an MSW degree?


Posted: February 02, 2017

What can I do with an MSW degree?

If you’ve been dreaming of a career that allows you to make a difference in the lives of others, then a career in social work may be perfect for you. Social work can be rewarding, but in order to land a job in this field you’ll be required to have a bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree in Social Work – also known as an MSW degree.

Once you earn your MSW, there is a variety of career options available to you. Check out the list below for potential opportunities awaiting you upon graduation.

School Social Worker / Guidance Counselor

Do you love working with children? One career option for those who are passionate about education and children is social work inside the school system.

These social workers aim to bridge the gap between a child’s life at home and school. They often provide resources to assist students with both personal and academic problems. Counselors in this role may even be the project lead for health, crisis intervention and sexual education programs.

Child Welfare Case Worker

Another great option for social workers who wish to make a difference is child welfare. This role offers the opportunity to help children dealing with abuse and/or neglect at home or children who don’t receive proper care.

Should you decide to take this career path, you’d likely work with child protective services to ensure the safety and proper health of children. If necessary, you would also assist in removing them from harmful living conditions and seek a safe place where they can thrive.

Medical / Public Health Social Work

If you have an passion for medicine or public health, you might find that a social work position at a hospital, nursing home, rehabilitation center or assisted living facility is a good fit for you. These social workers focus on protecting patients’ medical rights, assisting with paperwork and helping them work through difficult situations.

Marriage and Family Therapist 

Are you eager to help struggling couples or families with difficult relationships? Consider looking for a job as a marriage and family therapist.

Many times, therapists with this specialty address drug abuse issues and mental health concerns within families, with a focus specifically on how to address problems within each individual’s environment. However, keep in mind that this career does require a license and a master’s degree in order to properly diagnose and treat these issues.

Substance Abuse Counselor

While some social workers address substance abuse from a family perspective, there are other roles that work one-on-one with individuals or in group settings. A career as a substance abuse counselor provides you the chance to help people overcome addictions and make a positive change in their lives. If you’re interested in this line of work, you can seek positions at a variety of rehabilitation centers, non-profits, private practices and correctional facilities.

Start Your Social Work Career with an MSW Degree from USFSM

University of South Florida Sarasota-Manatee is looking for students who strive to make a difference in the world and are passionate about their long-term goals in the social work field. Our Master of Social Work degree program offers the real-world experience necessary to land your dream job in a variety of high-demand specializations.

Want to learn more about our MSW program and how you can start your career path in social work? Reach out to our admissions team online here, or call us at 941-359-4331 today!

Read more from the Bullhorn below or view as a list