Students at the University of South Florida Sarasota-Manatee can now earn their Master’s of Business Administration degree at their own pace in a new program designed for busy working professionals.
USF Sarasota-Manatee’s MBA is a 48-credit hour program offered through the College of Business that enables working professionals to receive the quality education of a top research university while staying close to home. In the current cohort system, each student completes the program in two years. The new format will allow students more flexibility and convenience, enabling them to take classes as their schedules allow.
“While the MBA cohort has worked well for our students in the past, we also realize that our students are very busy, and their personal and professional lives may stand in the way of getting a graduate degree,” said Dr. Robert Anderson, dean of USF Sarasota-Manatee’s College of Business. “This new delivery method should be more convenient to our students and allow more busy professionals to get their MBA.”
While students in the past may have waited up to a year to start the MBA program, the new program will allow them to enter the program at any time, rather than wait until the next cohort begins.
Students starting the program in the Fall will have the option of completing either a general MBA or choosing one of four concentrations: Accounting, Finance, Management, or Marketing. Students starting in the Spring can complete a general MBA in two years or choose to concentrate in one of the four areas by extending the program to longer than two years.
“Being able to take classes as their schedules allow will be an enormous benefit to our students,” said Anderson. “Increased enrollment and the hiring of new faculty have enabled us to create a program that more fully meets the needs of professionals in our community.”
Summary of the benefits of the changes to the MBA program:
- Students can enter the program either in the Fall or Spring semesters.
- Students who start in the Fall will have the option of completing either a General MBA or choosing one of four concentrations; Accounting*, Finance, Management or Marketing, by taking three application courses in the chosen concentration.
- Students starting in the Spring semester can complete a general MBA in two years or choose to concentrate in one of the four areas by extending their MBA to longer than two years.
- Students can elect to complete their MBA on a part-time basis.
- The program allows flexibility for waiving core tool courses for those students with Business degrees obtained within the past six years. Up to 12 hours could be waived. Decisions on the waivers will be made by the College of Business Graduate Policy Committee on a case-by-case basis.
- Two years of work experience is no longer required to enter the program.
For more information, visit www.sarasota.usf.edu/Academics/COB/MBA or contact Aaron Reecher at (941) 359-4333.