SARASOTA, Fla. (Feb.12, 2016) – USF Sarasota-Manatee isn’t holding back as it continues to celebrate 40 years of service to Sarasota and Manatee counties: The campus is set to stage a family friendly entertainment festival featuring games, food and a performance by American Idol top-five finisher Sam Woolf.
The festival is free and begins noon Saturday, Feb. 20, and runs until 4 p.m.
Our 40th Anniversary All-Alumni Festival is intended as a themed “reunion” for USF Sarasota-Manatee graduates and graduates of the entire USF System. But also invited are residents of Sarasota and Manatee counties in appreciation of their support of USFSM over the past 40 years.
“We wanted to create a festival with a homecoming feel with the USF marching band, USF mascot Rocky D. Bull and the alumni association, but also something very family friendly,” Jay Riley, program director of student alumni engagement, said. “It’s basically a family friendly event for people of all ages.”
Parking and admission are free. To attend or learn more go to www.usfsm.edu/allalumni. The USF Sarasota-Manatee campus is located at 8350 N. Tamiami Trail, Sarasota.
Woolf, who finished in the top five of American Idol season 13, is scheduled to take the stage between 1 and 2:30 p.m. Among the other activities and entertainers scheduled are:
- The USF “Horns Up” 30-piece marching band from noon to 1 p.m.
- The USF Cheerleaders and USF Sundolls from noon to 1 p.m.
- Jeff Evans Band from 2:30 to 4 p.m.
- USF Alumni Spirit Tent featuring face painting and games
- “IRush” inflatable obstacle course
- 26-foot rock wall
- Beach volleyball
- WUSF “Bob the Builder”-themed children’s activities
- Pittsburgh Pirates and Bradenton Marauders representatives
- Tailgate games including ladder golf and corn hole
- Food trucks as well as frozen yogurt and snow cone carts
- USF mascot Rocky D. Bull
- USFSM student club activities
Additionally, counselors from admissions and career services will be at the Selby Auditorium from 1 to 2 p.m. to talk about USFSM’s colleges, academic programs, student clubs and scholarship opportunities.
Also at Selby, the “Student Showcase for Projects, Research and Innovation” will be on exhibit. The annual showcase features examples of student research across academic disciplines.