It’s summertime and the livin’ is easy! Join us for a summer professional development session and let E-Learning Services share tips and tricks to lighten your load as you design and teach your online courses!
Summer Professional Development
Canvas Certification Course (C3)
This professional development session will allow participants to gain an introduction to and experience using Canvas, the USF Learning Management System. The session will be 2 weeks long and will be administered completely online. We will offer the session two times during the summer term.
Summer Session 1: May 16 – 27, 2016
Summer Session 2: August 8 – 19, 2016
Upon completion, participants in the Canvas Certification Course will be able to:
- Use specific tools available through Canvas to create a course shell, upload a syllabus and create a simple module with a content page, assignment, discussion forum and quiz
- Import course-related content via imports tools and files uploads.
- Build course-related activities via assignments, discussions and quizzes.
- Set up assignments and the course gradebook
- Modify the home page and course navigation for a course shell
- Discuss ways that the tools described in this course could support student success and student engagement in their course.
- Describe support available through the USFSM library and E-Learning departments
Applying the Quality Matters Rubric (APPQMR)
This workshop is offered in both a 1 day face-to-face workshop (May 13) and as a 2-week asynchronous, guided workshop (June 13 – 27). The APPQMR provides an overview of the Quality Matters Rubric, the concept of alignment in course design and the process of course review. This workshop is a good first step for anyone who may be interested in participating in a QM course review or in becoming a QM-certified peer reviewer. We will offer the workshop two times during the summer term.
Face-to-Face Workshop: Friday, May 13 (8 hour workshop)
Online Workshop: Monday, June 13 – Monday, June 27
After completing this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Identify the underlying principles of QM.
- Identify the critical elements of the QM quality assurance program, including the QM Rubric, materials, processes, and administrative components.
- Apply the QM Rubric, Fifth Edition, 2014 to review online courses.
- Make decisions on whether a course meets selected QM Rubric Standards.
- Apply the concept of alignment.
- Draft helpful recommendations for course improvement by citing annotations from the QM Rubric and evidence from the course.
Online Proctoring with Proctorio:
Participants in this workshop will learn about online proctoring and ways it could be beneficial to you and your students. This workshop is offered as a self-paced online workshop through Canvas. Registration is ongoing.
Upon completion, participants in the Proctorio workshop will be able to:
- Determine if online proctoring is suitable for their assessment needs
- Include the syllabus statement, the getting started checklist for students, and the Proctorio practice test in a current course
- Simulate the student experience by going through the getting started checklist for students and taking the Proctorio practice test
- Review a proctored quiz attempt and adjust behavior settings
- Develop an online proctoring strategy that will include student preparatory assets, support information, and other resources to minimize issues and manage students’ expectations
All of our professional development sessions are offered free-of-charge for faculty and staff of USFSM. Register for any of our professional development opportunities using our registration form or view opportunities and register on our Professional Development website.