When is an ARC petition appropriate?
An ARC petition is appropriate if
- extenuating circumstances occur that prevent a student from successfully completing a course(s) in a semester
- a student’s registration needs to be altered outside of the add/drop registration period
What are extenuating circumstances?
- Students should meet with the ARC representative from their college to determine if their petition is appropriate.
- Extenuating circumstances may include, but are not limited to
- Medical problems
- Death of a family member
What is included in an ARC petition?
- ARC Late Drop/Add Petition Form or ARC Reinstatement After Academic Dismissal
- ARC Instructor Statement, if applicable (a separate statement for each course affected by the petition)
- Academic Advising Record for Reinstatement Form, if applicable
- ARC Medical Form (mandatory if medical issues are addressed in the petition)
- Personal Statement
- Documentation that you can provide to support your statement, if applicable (ex: obituary, court document, etc.)
What is included in the personal statement?
- A statement of why you are submitting a petition
- Explanation of the circumstances for the petition
- If applicable, why you will be able to be more successful at USF in the future
- Explanation of why you were unable to alter your course registration within the specified university timeframes
- Documentation that you can provide to support your statement (ex: obituary, court document, etc.)
- The personal statement must be typed and include a signature and date at the bottom.
- Remember this statement is a reflection of you, and should be professional in nature.
- *Note: Proofread your statement for spelling and grammar. The committee takes everything into consideration; please avoid errors as these documents become part of your student record.
What if there are items of personal nature that you do not want to be included in the petition?
If you do not want certain items of personal nature to be directly mentioned in your petition, you may meet with a counselor in the Counseling & Wellness Center (941-487-4254). All matters discussed are confidential.
How can I access information needed on the forms
(ex: course reference numbers, etc.)
This information can be accessed by logging into OASIS and viewing past/current student schedules.
How long do I have to complete an ARC petition for course withdrawal or total withdrawal from a semester?
ARC course petitions should be turned in within 2 years of the end of the term in which the course was taken.
When is the ARC Medical Form necessary?
The medical form is required if medical issues are addressed in the petition.